At Kingsclere (CE) Primary School we are committed to giving all our children the opportunity to learn in the outdoor environment. We believe that taking learning outside is good for promoting children’s self-esteem, well-being, behaviour, co-operative learning and problem solving.
What is outdoor learning?
- Using our extensive and beautiful grounds allows us to provide many opportunities for children to learn outdoors.
- It involves outdoor play, working and learning outdoors in the school grounds as well as day and residential visits to places of interest.
- Learning opportunities are carefully planned by teachers making links to current projects or using the natural environment as hooks for learning.
- We hold termly outdoor ‘grounds’ days where children are able to work in mixed aged groups as well as lessons being integrated into each class’s timetable.
- It is real learning which happens in the natural environment where children can see, hear, touch and smell the real thing.
- Safety codes provide clear boundaries and learning goals give clear direction. However, children understand that actions have real results and consequences helping children to learn about risk taking.
Why is outdoor learning beneficial for our children?
- Outdoor learning provides a dramatic contrast to the indoor classroom. Direct experience outdoors is motivating and has more impact on learning.
- Through skilled teaching, outdoor learning experiences readily become a stimulating source of fascination, personal growth and breakthroughs in learning.
- Children learn through what they do, what they encounter and through what they discover.
- Active learning readily develops the learning skills of enquiry, reasoning, reflecting and working together with others.
- Children’s horizons are broadened and new interests are stimulated. There are no limits to the experiences and curiosities that outdoor environments and activities can arouse. Children frequently discover interests that surprise themselves and others.
Photo gallery pictures change every 5 seconds - put your mouse cursor over a picture to pause the slide show. Use the left and right arrows to move backwards and forwards.